Turmeric milk — also known as golden milk — is an Indian medicinal drink that boosts immunity. There are many other turmeric milk benefits too that can help you lead a healthy life.
Golden milk is an infusion of turmeric in milk along with other spices such as cinnamon and ginger.
This traditional Indian drink relieves anxiety and menstrual cramps and prevents diseases.
Turmeric milk gets its health-boosting properties mainly from curcumin– an active compound in turmeric.
However, your body is unable to absorb all the curcumin from turmeric milk by itself. So you need to add black pepper too. The piperine in black pepper increases curcumin absorption by 2000%, allowing maximum benefits.
Here’re the top 14 benefits of turmeric milk based on science + A simple recipe to prepare it right away.
Table of Contents
- A. 13 Amazing Turmeric Milk Benefits [Science-Based]
- 1. Turmeric Milk Improves Mood
- 2. Benefits of Turmeric Milk for Brain Health
- 3. Turmeric Milk Reduces Joint Pain and Inflammation
- 4. Benefits of Turmeric Milk for General Health
- 5. Turmeric Milk Benefits For Cough, Cold, and Flu
- 6. Turmeric Milk Protects Against Heart Disease
- 7. Turmeric Milk Reduces Your Risk of Cancer
- 8. Turmeric Milk Lowers Blood Sugar Levels
- 9. Benefits of Turmeric Milk for Weight Loss
- 10. Benefits of Turmeric Milk for Digestion
- 11. Turmeric Milk Benefits Your Bone Health
- 12. Turmeric Milk Benefits For Skin
- 13. Benefits of Turmeric Milk for Blood Purification
- 14. Turmeric Milk Eases Menstrual Cramps
- B. How to Make Golden Turmeric Milk (Haldi Doodh): The Recipe
- C. The Bottom Line
A. 13 Amazing Turmeric Milk Benefits [Science-Based]
1. Turmeric Milk Improves Mood
If you are feeling sad, curcumin- the active compound in turmeric, can boost your mood. Curcumin can also reduce the symptoms of depression and keep you psychologically healthy.
Here is the research proving the same:
- In a study, 60 individuals suffering from depression took either curcumin, antidepressants or both:
- Individuals taking curcumin improved similarly to those who took anti-depressants. And, those who consumed both benefitted the most.
- Curcumin reduces the symptoms of depression by elevating the levels of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) protein. Low levels of BDNF protein often result in depression.
- Another study also stresses the antidepressant-like activity of curcumin. It found curcumin to be effective in patients with major depressive dDisorder (MDD).
[✓] Turmeric milk contains curcumin which is as effective for depression as anti-depressant drugs.
[✓] By boosting BDNF levels, curcumin induces positive thoughts and wards off anxiety, sadness, insomnia, and thoughts of suicide.
2. Benefits of Turmeric Milk for Brain Health
Turmeric milk benefits your brain with its curcumin content. Curcumin increases the levels of BDNF, which is required for brain cells’ growth & new connections.
On the contrary, low levels of BDNF are linked with brain diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
The other ingredients of turmeric milk- cinnamon and ginger- also support brain health.
These researches give the evidence of brain-boosting properties of its ingredients.
- Cinnamon compounds prevent the buildup of tau protein in the brain to keep brain function healthy. The accumulation of tau protein, in the brain is a characteristic of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Animal studies found that cinnamon may be beneficial for Parkinson’s disease (PD) patients as well.
Cinnamon improves brain function and reduces the symptoms of PD such as muscle stiffness, fatigue, and anxiety.
- Ginger improves memory and attention and prevents brain function loss occurring with age.
[✓] The ingredients of turmeric milk- cinnamon, ginger, curcumin- work to enhance brain function and memory.
[✓] They protect against Alzheimer’s disease and minimize the risk of age-related brain disorders.
ALSO: Read these 12 Side Effects of Turmeric before consuming it in large quantities.
3. Turmeric Milk Reduces Joint Pain and Inflammation
Turmeric milk benefits joint pain with its amazing anti-inflammatory properties.
Often, long-term inflammation causes inflammatory diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer’s, and heart disease. Foods rich in anti-inflammatory properties reduce inflammation and lessen the risk of such diseases.
These anti-inflammatory properties can also reduce joint pain from bone diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, and osteoarthritis.
Here are some studies.
- A study found the anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin to be even more powerful than some medicinal drugs. Moreover, unlike drugs, curcumin doesn’t have any side effect as well.
- Another study in 247 people revealed that the osteoarthritis patients who took ginger extract experienced less pain.
[✓] Curcumin, cinnamon, and ginger- the ingredients of golden milk, have potent anti-inflammatory properties.
[✓] These properties reduce joint pain, inflammation, and the risk of inflammatory and auto-immune diseases.
4. Benefits of Turmeric Milk for General Health
Turmeric milk can easily prevent diseases commonly occurring during your life. This drink packs a boost of antioxidants due to curcumin- an active compound in turmeric.
This is one of the reasons why turmeric has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for ages.
➥ Antioxidants are the compounds that protect your cells from damage by neutralizing reactive oxygen species.
Besides, the Asian cuisine also uses turmeric, which gives the curry a yellow color and imparts health-boosting properties.
Have a look at some of the scientific studies.
- Antioxidants keep diseases and infections away by neutralizing toxins. Hence, you should take foods rich in antioxidants to lead a healthy life.
- Not just curcumin, but other ingredients- ginger and cinnamon, also have great antioxidant properties.
[✓] The ingredients of turmeric milk are rich in antioxidants.
[✓] The antioxidants protect you from infections and diseases such as cancer and contribute to a healthy life.
5. Turmeric Milk Benefits For Cough, Cold, and Flu
Turmeric milk is an excellent immunity booster, thanks to its curcumin content. In India, people use this golden drink as a home remedy to treat colds and cough.
Here’re some studies that confirmed these turmeric milk benefits.
- A study found that curcumin possesses anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties. This property makes turmeric milk capable of preventing and fighting infections.
- Another study found that ginger has an active anti-bacterial activity.
- Next study discovered that also cinnamaldehyde (a curcumin compound), prevents the growth of bacteria.
- Plus, a study even found that turmeric milk ingredients have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties strengthen your immune system.
Turmeric milk improves immunity in children too who can get cold and flu easily.
Plus, turmeric increases the production of mucus and flushes toxins out of the respiratory tract. Thus, it clears up sinus congestion and prevents sinus and cough problems.
Besides, If you catch infections easily, drink turmeric milk daily on an empty stomach in the morning or just before sleeping at night.
[✓] The ingredients in turmeric milk have anti-viral and antibacterial activities. These activities help your body fight off infections.
[✓] Moreover, their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties boost your immune system as well.
6. Turmeric Milk Protects Against Heart Disease
Turmeric milk benefits your heart too by lowering the risk of heart disease.
There are several studies speaking of the same.
- A review of 10 studies concluded that a daily dose of 120 mg of cinnamon lowers “bad” LDL levels and raises good HDL levels.
- A study in 41 people over 12-weeks found that-
- Type 2 diabetic people who took 2 gm curcumin daily reduced their risk of heart disease by 23–28%.
Moreover, their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties may also protect against heart diseases.
[✓] Ginger, cinnamon, and turmeric- the ingredients that make turmeric milk, have properties to keep heart well-functioning.
[✓] These ingredients also protect against various heart diseases.
7. Turmeric Milk Reduces Your Risk of Cancer
Studies found the spices in turmeric milk, such as ginger and curcumin, to be effective at reducing the risk of cancer.
➥ Cancer is a disease in which cells divide uncontrollably and destroy body tissue.
These studies prove that the ingredients of turmeric milk, protect against cancer.
- 6-gingerol- a substance in ginger that gives ginger its strong taste, contains anti-cancer properties.
- Similarly, a study found that compounds in cinnamon reduce the growth of cancer cells.
- Curcumin goes even further and kills cancer cells and limits their ability to spread cancer.
Hence, turmeric milk benefits those who are at a high risk for cancer. In cancer patients, this drink could prevent cancer from spreading to other parts of the body.
However, it is still unclear as to how much of these ingredients to consume to get these benefits.
[✓] Studies suggest that ginger, cinnamon, and curcumin- the ingredients of turmeric milk, reduce the risk of cancer.
[✓] Moreover, turmeric milk may also kill cancer cells and stop the growth of cancer.
8. Turmeric Milk Lowers Blood Sugar Levels
Next turmeric milk benefit is the lowering of blood sugar levels. This property is due to the two ingredients of golden milk; ginger and cinnamon.
These ingredients have anti-diabetic properties that can reduce the risk of diabetes and benefit diabetic people.
Here’re some scientific studies that confirm these effects.
- A study found that the daily consumption of 1-6 gm of cinnamon reduces fasting blood glucose levels by up to 29%.
- Plus, cinnamon reduces insulin resistance too. The cells with reduced insulin resistance can take up sugar from the blood. As a result, the sugar level in the blood lowers down.
- Cinnamon also decreases the amount of sugar absorbed in the intestine after a meal in diabetic patients. Thus, it helps control blood sugar level in the body.
- Similarly, daily intake of ginger lowers fasting blood sugar levels by up to 12%.
[✓] Ginger and cinnamon, which are used to make turmeric milk, improve insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar levels.
Note: The blood sugar lowering property is effective only when you drink turmeric milk without adding honey or maple syrup.
9. Benefits of Turmeric Milk for Weight Loss
Turmeric helps in weight loss with its thermogenic effect, which increases metabolism. More metabolic activity leads to the generation of heat which speeds up cellular activity. As a result, this thermic effect burns an additional 350 calories per day and helps in weight management.
The other ingredients of turmeric milk- ginger, black pepper, and cinnamon help in weight loss as well.
Here’re some studies that prove turmeric milk ingredients are effective against obesity.
- A study found that curcumin gingerol, piperine, cinnamaldehyde– active compounds in turmeric, ginger, black pepper, and cinnamon, respectively, are effective against obesity.
- Even better, these spices come cheap and are very safe to use.
- Another study discovered that curcumin aids weight management by reducing fat production and fatty tissue formation.
- Next study reported that curcumin even inhibits the formation of fat cells.
- Moreover, with its antioxidant activity, curcumin reduces obesity and its adverse health effects.
Besides, Cinnamon in turmeric milk decreases insulin resistance and lowers the blood sugar level. Thus, it lessens the risk of diabetes, which is known to cause weight gain.
[✓] Turmeric milk reduces weight with its anti-diabetic, thermogenic, and antioxidant properties.
[✓] Moreover, it also cuts the risk of diseases associated with obesity such as heart disease and diabetes.
10. Benefits of Turmeric Milk for Digestion
Turmeric milk also benefits people suffering from chronic indigestion, scientifically known as dyspepsia.
➥ Chronic indigestion is a condition when a person suffers indigestion frequently or more than 7 days a month.
Indigestion mainly occurs due to delayed stomach emptying, i.e. when the food moves from your stomach to intestine very slowly.
The ingredients in golden milk can help in normalizing the entire digestion process.
Here’re some researches on turmeric milk ingredients.
- Ginger, an ingredient of turmeric milk, speeds up stomach emptying process and relieves dyspepsia.
- Curcumin detoxifies the liver and protects it from toxins with its hepatoprotective action.
The liver is essential for healthy digestion as it produces bile to digest fatty foods.
- Turmeric reduces the symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, excessive gas, and stomach ache.
- Turmeric also helps in better digestion of fats by increasing the bile production by up to 62%.
➥ Bile is a dark green to yellowish brown fluid, produced by the liver, that helps in the digestion of fats in the small intestine.
Turmeric milk can eliminate gastrointestinal infections and intestinal parasites in children living in the tropics.
Plus, a cup of turmeric milk a day can treat the loss of appetite and improve overall digestion.
[✓] Ginger and turmeric- the two ingredients of turmeric milk, ensure a healthy digestion and relieve indigestion symptoms.
[✓] Turmeric significantly helps in the digestion of fats. This makes turmeric milk more beneficial for those who consume more of fatty foods.
11. Turmeric Milk Benefits Your Bone Health
Turmeric milk makes your bones strong and contributes to a sturdy skeleton. This golden drink is rich in vitamin D and calcium, which are essential for building and maintaining strong bones.
If you don’t get a recommended intake of calcium in your diet, your body removes calcium from your bones to maintain calcium balance in the blood. Over time, this leads to weak and brittle bones, which can cause diseases such as osteoporosis.
Vitamin D also is equally important for healthy bones. It ensures that your body absorbs calcium from your diet easily. If your body is low on vitamin D, your bones will still get weak and brittle over time, no matter how much calcium your diet has.
Cow’s milk naturally contains calcium and vitamin D in abundance. Hence, turmeric milk made with cow’s milk supplies all the elements essential for healthy bones.
But, if you want to use plant milk, go for the one that is enriched with calcium and vitamin D.
[✓] Turmeric milk made from cow milk provides both calcium and vitamin D nutrition to your body.
[✓] Both of these elements contribute to making your bones stronger, reducing the risk of bone diseases.
12. Turmeric Milk Benefits For Skin
Turmeric milk can help you get a truly flawless skin. Evidence suggests that turmeric is an effective remedy for skin disorders such as psoriasis, acne, and atopic dermatitis.
- A study found that curcumin– an active ingredient in turmeric, neutralizes toxic free radicals and reduces inflammation.
- Curcumin also reduces the wound-healing time and increases skin elasticity.
- Next study reviewed 18 other studies on turmeric. It reported that curcumin significantly improves the severity of skin diseases such as acne and psoriasis.
Hence, if you are prone to getting rashes, acne, and pimples, turmeric milk could really help. Make a habit of drinking turmeric milk daily to witness its benefits in the form of softer and smoother skin.
[✓] Turmeric milk increases skin softness and elasticity by increasing fibroblast (a cell that produces collagen and other fibers). Collagen is essential for an elastic, young, and wrinkle-free skin.
[✓] The golden milk also helps in healing skin diseases faster as well as reduces pain and swelling.
13. Benefits of Turmeric Milk for Blood Purification
Turmeric milk is promoted as a blood purifier in Ayurvedic medicine. Now, even studies suggest that it can help in the blood purification process.
Every day, your body receives a fair amount of toxins through foods, drinks, and respiratory tract. These toxins can damage blood vessels and contaminate the blood. Contaminated blood can further damage cells that it reaches.
Furthermore, these toxins in the blood act as an underlying cause of various skin problems and diseases too.
The turmeric milk can certainly help in getting rid of these toxins by supporting the liver, which is a detoxification organ.
- The anti-oxidant property of curcumin protects the liver from damaging toxins like free radicals and prevents liver diseases.
When the liver stays healthy, it can work smoothly to filter out toxins from the blood.
- Moreover, the diuretic action of turmeric increases the production of urine, which flushes toxins out of the body.
Turmeric milk benefits people the most who live in polluted cities. Their liver has to work continuously under stress to keep their body free from diseases. Turmeric milk can support liver health and reduce the risk of diseases.
[✓] Turmeric milk helps purify and revitalize your blood by keeping the liver healthy.
[✓] Its curcumin content protects your liver from the damaging effects of toxins and prevents diseases such as liver fibrosis.
14. Turmeric Milk Eases Menstrual Cramps
Finally, turmeric milk benefits women too who experience unbearable pain during their periods. Being an anti-spasmodic, curcumin- a compound in turmeric, relieves painful cramps and eases menstruation.
Besides, Ayurveda uses turmeric as a traditional herbal medicine to regulate menstruation.
Turmeric also helps with delivery by reducing the intensity of pain. Not just that, turmeric also speeds up postpartum recovery and improves lactation.
Note: Do not add turmeric more than food amount in turmeric milk during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Here’re the studies proving these benefits.
- A study in rat and guinea pig suggested that curcumin relaxes uterus muscles. Hence, turmeric eases spasms or painful muscle contractions that accompany menstruation, reducing pain.
- Another study found that curcumin relieves premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms such as mood swings, depression, and fatigue.
[✓] Curcumin- an active compound of turmeric, reduces pain felt during menses by relaxing the uterus muscles.
[✓] Turmeric milk also relieves PMS symptoms and eases periods.
B. How to Make Golden Turmeric Milk (Haldi Doodh): The Recipe
Turmeric Milk Recipe (Haldi Doodh)
A powerful Indian drink that boosts immunity against cold, cough, headaches, sore throat, joint pains etc.
- ½ cup (120 ml) of Milk (full-fat, low-fat, or skimmed)
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder or 1 small piece grated fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp Black pepper (freshly crushed) (Use just a pinch if you prefer less spicy)
- 1 tsp Honey or Maple syrup (optional)
- Mix milk, turmeric powder, cinnamon powder, and ginger powder in a small saucepan.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Now, let it simmer for about 5-6 minutes.
- Switch off the flame.
- Strain (if used grated fresh ginger) into a mug.
- Add crushed black pepper to it.
- Sip while still hot.
C. The Bottom Line
These are the benefits of Turmeric milk for a healthy life. They include improved brain and heart function, enhanced immunity, and reduced skin disorders.
Turmeric also improves digestion and eases menstruation by reducing cramps.
Don’t forget to add black pepper to get the most benefits out of your golden milk. Also, try to limit the amount of honey or maple syrup to preserve the medicinal properties of this drink.