You most probably are if you are reading this.
I am going to explain you some highly effective and working weight loss tips that have been tried and tested by millions of people around the world and got desired results.
Here is how you too can do this easily.
Trying to do away with 20 pounds of excess fat in just 2 weeks of the insanely short period of time is a highly daunting task, but still, not impossible.
All you have to do is make some simple changes to your lifestyle and diet, and most importantly, stick to them throughout the period, which most just fail to do (1).
On the other side, there are other options too such as surgery, weight loss pills & supplements, and body weight loss products, which frankly suit mostly the lazy people or those who have underlying genetic causes
Otherwise, fat loss done by changing the lifestyle and diet is considered a natural weight loss process scientifically and is a healthier choice for a long-term transformation
With the following fruitful approaches, you won’t ever have to think of the other methods that only aim to provide a short-term solution to your overweight problem and often come with their own downsides in the form of high cost, risks, and indirect damaging effects on your body.
- A. Is It Even Possible to lose 20 Lbs in 2 Weeks?
- B. How to Lose 20 Pounds in 2 Weeks: 10 Simple Steps
- 1) Start Drinking ‘More’ Water
- 2) Say ‘No’ to Junk Food
- 3) Go For ‘Negative calorie’ Foods
- 4) ‘Cook’ Your Food Yourself
- 5) Never ‘Skip’ Your Meals
- 6) Eat More ‘Often’
- 7) Indulge in ‘Moderate to Vigorous’ Exercise
- 8) ‘Grab’ Those Little Opportunities For Physical Activity
- 9) ‘Relieve’ Your Stress And Tension
- 10) Finally, Do Take A ‘Full Night’ Of Sleep
- C. How Actually Are You Going to Lose Weight?
- D. 7 Scientifically-proven Ways to Lose 20 Pounds in 2 Weeks
- 1. Start Drinking More Water
- 2. Eat Frequently
- 3. Limit Your Salt Intake
- 4. Add Negative Calorie Foods to Your Diet
- 5. Start Your Day With A Cup Of Coffee
- 6. Engage Yourself in Physical Activities
- 7. Get a Full Night’s Sleep
- E. Conclusion
A. Is It Even Possible to lose 20 Lbs in 2 Weeks?
As I said above, it can be extremely challenging but equally rewarding.
This is an emergency weight loss program that aims to employ every possibility of losing weight over a span of 14 days.
Any mistake and you will extend the period up to 3 or even 4 weeks.
Just cut back your calories, Hydrate yourself, include physical activity, stay miles away from the junk food and take sufficient rest (2).
After 2 weeks, you will undoubtedly have your dream physique and figure. All it takes to achieve a toned body is your discipline and our following tips.
Each tip on this page is scientifically proven and is recommended by the fitness seekers as well.
Note– You should consult your doctor before going for this super-fast weight loss plan that drops your weight quickly.
WikiHow has even put up a disclaimer for those who are trying to lose weight fast.
It says- one needs to be extremely cautious as the rapid loss of weight could be dangerous and fatal for it subjects your body to the excessive physical pressure.
B. How to Lose 20 Pounds in 2 Weeks: 10 Simple Steps
1) Start Drinking ‘More’ Water
Water flushes toxins out of your system and revs up metabolism to help your body in losing its extra weight.
On the top of that, water is calorie-free, and therefore, is a better alternative to the sugary drinks.
2) Say ‘No’ to Junk Food
With fatty, greasy, and high sugar content food, you only make it harder for your body to achieve the short-term weight loss objective.
Moreover, avoid fried, battered, packaged, covered-in-chocolate, and preserved-in-sugar foods.
3) Go For ‘Negative calorie’ Foods
These foods burn more calories in their digestion than they themselves contain.
Some of these foods are:
Celery, Broccoli, Cucumber, Lettuce, Zucchini, Berries, Grapefruit, Carrots, Tomatoes, Watermelon, Apples
4) ‘Cook’ Your Food Yourself
Unlike the restaurant foods, cooking yourself gives you complete control over the calories and nutrients you eat.
Other than that, it also adds physical activity to your day.
Prefer olive oil, and do avoid more butter/sugar/salt. Also, control your portion sizes.
5) Never ‘Skip’ Your Meals
When you skip breakfast, your body smartly lowers down the rate of burning of calories in order to save them for future.
Even though you may lose a considerable amount of weight in the beginning while skipping breakfast, you are only going to regain it swiftly at the end of two weeks.
6) Eat More ‘Often’
Don’t confuse it with ‘eating more.’ The core idea is to eat less, but frequently at regular intervals.
Therefore, get smaller meals more often (3-6 times/day).
This tricks your body and lets it think you are full, which keeps your metabolism up and cravings down. Also, your body won’t be inclined to conserving calories this way.
7) Indulge in ‘Moderate to Vigorous’ Exercise
- Moderate exercise burns 200-400 calories/hour.
Includes slow walking/bicycling, dancing, hiking, golf, and light yard work.
- Vigorous exercise burns 400-600 calories/hour.
Includes basketball, swimming, aerobics, bicycling, running, heavy weight lifting, and yard work.
Do 30-60 minutes of exercise, 2-3 times a day 4-5 days a week. Also, don’t forget to take breaks and drink water consistently.
8) ‘Grab’ Those Little Opportunities For Physical Activity
The aim here is to incorporate more physical movement in the limited period of 24 hours.
Do some push-ups while watching TV, take stairs instead of elevators, take the dog for a walk, or just wash up your car yourself.
It is you who have to find opportunities to exercise to burn fat in order to make your weight loss process further speedier.
9) ‘Relieve’ Your Stress And Tension
These two factors are the main culprits playing an indirect role in foiling your plan to lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks.
Listen to music, meditate every day for 15-30 minutes, practice yoga & deep breathing exercises, and expose yourself to entertainments that make you laugh and cheer.
10) Finally, Do Take A ‘Full Night’ Of Sleep
Sleeping for 7-9 hours each night restores the efficiency of your body and makes it easier for your body to lose body fat.
Moreover, it also regulates your hormones and keeps you from getting too hungry, thus preventing you from eating any more than needed.
C. How Actually Are You Going to Lose Weight?
In order to lose weight fast, you need to lose belly fat with physical activity and simultaneously create a calorie deficit to discourage your body from accumulating any additional fat (3).
In short, you need to look out for-
- What you eat,
- How you eat, and
- Make some lifestyle changes.
Follow these steps as I tell you down below, and your fat will just walk away by the end of 2 weeks.
Besides, I have also added explanations & references on how your body works from inside so you can be at a better understanding of its working.
Let’s get started.
D. 7 Scientifically-proven Ways to Lose 20 Pounds in 2 Weeks
1. Start Drinking More Water
1.1 What Happens When You Drink More Water?
When you adequately hydrate yourself, this is exactly what happens inside your body–
Now since your body is detoxified, next comes the boost in your metabolism, which in turn increases your calorie burn rate by lipolysis (5). It is then just a smooth ride down the weight loss road.
On top of that:
- Prefer ‘cold’ water: It helps in weight loss more effectively as your body has to burn extra calories to raise the temperature of the water up to your body temperature (6).
- Drink water before meals: It curbs appetite and helps in consuming fewer calories (7).
- WebMD says: You eat 75 fewer calories per meal in this way, which, though subtly, helps in losing some weight in the middle-aged and older individuals.
- Replace high sugar & calorie beverages with water, which contains zero calories, to reduce your calorie intake and drop off your extra weight effortlessly.
1.2 How Much Water Should You Drink Daily?
- On an average, drink more than 64 ounces (around 2 liters) of water per day. But if are more overweight, follow this handy rule- Drink “half of your body weight in ounces of water,” i.e., For a body weight of 180 pounds, you should drink 90 ounces of water.
- It is even better if you drink 1.5 liters of water, over and above your usual intake (8).
2. Eat Frequently
Don’t confuse it with ‘Eating More.’
You just have to eat more ‘often’ and also keep your calories in check at the same time.
Eating 6 meals a day in place of the regular 3 meals a day is an effective weight loss strategy as long as you can keep an eye on ‘what you eat’ and ‘how much you eat’ (9).
2.1 The ‘Frequent-eating Myth’- [Busted] & The Correct Way to Do It
The Fact: Frequent eating neither revs up your metabolism nor burns your body fat (10).
This is what actually happens instead of what you think:
When you go without eating anything beyond 5-6-hour mark, you get damn hungry and are only more likely to overeat.
This is the breakup of events between your meals:
- After about 3 hours, your blood sugar level begins to fall.
- By 4 hours, your body is done digesting everything you had sent down to it.
- When you cross 5 hours, your blood sugar decreases rapidly, and that’s when you start feeling tired and grab whatever you can to refuel.
That is why breakfast is an essential meal of the day (11).
After 7-8 hours of sleep without food, you need the energy to carry out your daily tasks and to keep yourself from overeating at lunch.
2.2 How Grazing Helps You Lose Fat?
2.3 How to Eat Frequently the Right Way?
- Your daily intake of total calories must be less than 1300 calories. Therefore, in each meal or snack session, you should be eating around 200 calories and fewer.
- Graze on snacks high in ‘lean protein’ & ‘high-fiber carbohydrates.’ This ensures you only get a minimum number of calories but a maximum number of nutrients to keep going.
Note: Frequent eating should be avoided in case you go for intermittent fasting regime to lose your extra weight.
2.4 What Can You Prefer Eating?
- Fresh fruit + low-fat cheese
- Raw vegetables + ¼ cup tzatziki sauce or hummus
- Whole-grain crackers + 1 tsp of nut butter or 1 oz. of low-fat cheese
- Nuts, dried fruits, whole-grain cereal + ¼ cup trail mix with nuts
- Fresh berries + 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
2.5 What Goes Wrong While Eating More Often?
Most of the weight-loss enthusiasts who go for 6 meal plan end up doing more harm to their weight loss goals.
They consume way more calories this way than they could have consumed with a 3-meals-a-day plan.
The main culprits are-
- Junk foods (processed foods, refined carbs, sugary drinks) that could be easily overeaten and you will still have some space in your belly for more.
- Unregulated portion sizes.
Abstain from repeating these mistakes.
3. Limit Your Salt Intake
Although sodium lacks calories, it can still bring about undesired consequences such as weight gain, indirectly (13).
3.1 What Does Excess Sodium Do To Your Body?
Your body typically maintains a sodium/water balance for its biochemical processes, which very much resembles sea water. When there is an influx of sodium, your body starts retaining more water to keep that balance in place (14).
Specifically, consuming an extra 400 milligrams of sodium increases your body weight by 2-pound.
However, this extra weight is temporary and gets flushed out of your body when you reduce your sodium intake and start drinking more water, says Dr. Jack D. Osman of Towson University.
Even though temporary, this for sure can give off false readings during your weight loss period, which in turn can discourage you and throw you off your weight loss plan.
3.2 Which Sources to Cut Off From?
These sources not only bring excess sodium into your system but also load you up with more calories:
- Packaged snacks and fast foods
- Deli Meats
- Breakfast cereals
- Canned soups and vegetables
- Flavor packets and condiments
- Frozen meals
- Spaghetti sauce
- Dairy products
- Processed Meats
3.3 How Much Sodium to Consume in A Day?
- For a rapid weight loss, your daily intake of sodium should never exceed 1,500 milligrams or 0.75 teaspoon.
- It’s better if you keep your consumption strictly around 1,000 to 1,200 milligrams, which will only help you in losing your weight faster.
Go for only ‘low sodium’ products that provide 140 mg or less per serving.
4. Add Negative Calorie Foods to Your Diet
Negative calorie fruits and vegetables play a crucial role when you have to flatten your flabby stomach (15). For that reason, these foods have grabbed quite a lot of eyeballs of fitness seekers lately.
Read on to know what are negative calorie foods and what foods fall into this category
4.1 What Are Negative Calorie Foods?
These foods require more energy to chew, digest, and absorb than they themselves contain.
So basically, while digesting a negative-calorie food, your body not only nullifies those extra calories you consumed along with the food but also burns more of your own calories to retrieve the required energy and complete the entire digestion process.
What this means is that you are only burning your body fat in eating them, which is exactly what we want.
Moreover, negative-calorie foods are rich in nutrition, contain high fiber, and have a low glycaemic index
4.2 Examples of Negative Calorie Foods
Veggies such as cabbage, lettuce, onion, radish, spinach, turnip, zucchini, asparagus, beetroot, broccoli, green beans, garlic, cucumber, celery, and cauliflower.
Fruits like watermelon, tangerines, tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, papayas, mangoes, oranges, limes, lemons, honeydew, grapefruit, cranberries, cantaloupe, and blueberries.
5. Start Your Day With A Cup Of Coffee
For a coffee lover, short-term weight loss program is now going to be more of a delight as drinking coffee also helps you shed your fat (16).
Well, it’s the very fact and here’s the reason:
5.1 What Substances in Coffee Make it a Fat-Busting Potion?
Coffee contains mainly three bio-active compounds:
- Caffeine– stimulates the central nervous system
- Theobromine and Theophylline– similar stimulating effect as that of caffeine
- Chlorogenic acid– slows down carbohydrate absorption in your body
5.2 How Does Caffeine Help You Lose Weight?
Caffeine blocks the inhibitory action of a neurotransmitter called Adenosine, increasing the firing of neurotransmitters like Norepinephrine and Dopamine (17).
These neurotransmitters then boost your metabolism and also increase your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) by 3-11% (18). This boost can be even more with larger doses.
Consequently, it gets easier for you to lose extra weight as your body is now more inclined towards burning fat rather than storing it.
Note: Those who are not much into coffee can also go for green tea. It contains active antioxidant compounds called Catechins, which also boost your metabolism and burn fat.
5.3 Why Should You Drink Coffee Before Your Workout?
Caffeine increases the level of hormone Epinephrine (Adrenaline) in the blood (19).
This epinephrine moves via your bloodstream and reaches your fat tissues. There it triggers the break-down of fats into fatty acids, which are then finally released into the blood.
This mobilized fat is now available for use and is readily utilized by your body when you work out.
So, when you subsequently work out, your performance gets increased by 11-12% on an average (20). This means you can exercise for longer and burn even more calories to get in shape fast.
6. Engage Yourself in Physical Activities
Exercising on a daily basis benefits you in the form of Weight loss and healthy weight maintenance (21).
6.1 How You Lose Weight With Physical Activities?
When you work out, your body starts demanding more energy than usual in order to perform various physical movements.
This initiates calorie burn-off at an increased rate, which satisfies the energy needs of your body, making your body-fat to dissolve in the process.
Furthermore, when you burn off excess calories with physical activity and simultaneously reduce your calorie intake, it creates a ‘calorie deficit,’ which eventually helps you slim down quick.
6.2 Which Physical Activities To Do?
To achieve the goal of losing 20 pounds in 2 weeks, you need to indulge in both moderate and vigorous intensity exercses.
Moderate physical activities burn around 200-400 calories/hour, whereas, vigorous physical exercises burn roughly 400-600 calories/hour (22).
1. Moderate intense: Your breathing and heart rate is noticeably faster, but you can still carry on a conversation.
- Walking briskly
- Playing with children
- Biking at a medium pace
- Light yard work
2. Vigorous intense: Your breathing and heart rate gets increased considerably, and it is almost impossible to carry on a conversation.
- Swimming laps
- Cross-country skiing
- Rope jumping
- Sports like football, soccer, basketball
- Rollerblading at a brisk pace
7. Get a Full Night’s Sleep
Sound sleep is the nutrition for your brain that it needs on a regular basis in the amount of 7-9 hours each night.
By sleeping for the recommended hours, you only make losing weight way easier and faster without having to try much.
Sleep deprivation not only brings your metabolism rate down but also invokes your cravings, which ultimately leads to excessive eating and putting on weight.
Moreover, a sleepy brain also starts lacking impulse to say no to junk foods, further increasing the risk of consuming a hell of a lot of calories.
7.1 How Insufficient Sleep Affects Your Weight Loss Goal?
When you cut back on sleep, your hormones go haywire, which in turn affects the functions directly associated with them. Here is how it happens:
- Your body starts producing more of ‘hunger hormone’ Ghrelin. Ghrelin signals your brain to make you feel hungry (23).
- Moreover, the levels of ‘appetite-reducing hormone’ Leptin begin to fall, further signaling your brain to eat more (24).
⇒ This imbalance in the levels of these two hormones makes you eat more and gain extra weight.
- Moreover, when you make ‘sleeping too little’ your habit, there begins a rise in the level of ‘stress hormone’ Cortisol.
It makes your body save energy in order to fuel up your activities during your waking hours (25).
- Other than that, insulin sensitivity also drops by over 30%.
Insulin is required by your body to convert your food into energy. With insulin in scarcity, your body finds it difficult to process bloodstream fats and ends up storing it as fat (26).
7.2 How to Get a Better Night’s Sleep?
- Keep your bedroom only for sleep and sex rather than work or entertainment.
- Take a warm bath, meditate, or read before going to sleep.
- Turn off your lights to let your body release natural sleep hormone Melatonin.
- Stick to a schedule of waking up and sleeping at the same time every day the whole week.
- Avoid alcohol and heavy meals close to bedtime.
- Also steer clear of soda, coffee, tea, and chocolate after 2 pm.
Losing weight has never been easy. It requires a disciplined you and some really working ways.
We have guided you through these effective tips and explained how the things actually work inside your body. Now the rest is upon you.
Get it done and taste the privileges that come along.
Best of Luck!