Do you want to get in shape quick for an upcoming occasion like wedding, vacation, reunion, or a trip to the beach? Are you constantly bugged by thinking how to lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks?
You definitely are if you are reading this.
I am going to tell you some highly effective and working weight loss tips. These methods have been tried & tested by millions of people around the world to get their desired results.
Here is how you too can do this easily!
Trying to do lose 20 pounds of excess fat in just 2 weeks is a highly daunting task. But still, it’s not impossible.
All you have to do is make some simple changes to your lifestyle and diet plan (1). And most importantly, stick to them throughout the period, which most just fail to do.
This is not only a healthier way of fat loss but also the most natural way of long-term transformation.
Or else, there are other options too such as, weight loss pills & supplements, and body weight loss products. But, they only provide a short-term solution to your overweight problem. And, they have their own downsides such as high cost and indirect side effects on your body.
Table of Contents
- A. Video Explanation
- B. Is It Even Possible to lose 20 Lbs in 2 Weeks?
- C. How to Lose 20 Pounds in 2 Weeks: 10 Simple Steps
- 1) Start Drinking ‘More’ Water
- 2) Say ‘No’ to Junk Food
- 3) Go For ‘Negative calorie’ Foods
- 4) ‘Cook’ Your Food Yourself
- 5) Never ‘Skip’ Your Meals
- 6) Eat More ‘Often’
- 7) Indulge in ‘Moderate to Vigorous’ Exercise
- 8) ‘Grab’ Those Little Opportunities For Physical Activity
- 9) ‘Relieve’ Your Stress And Tension
- 10) Finally, Do Take A ‘Full Night’ Of Sleep
- D. How Actually Are You Going to Lose Weight?
- F. 7 Scientifically-proven Ways to Lose 20 Pounds in 2 Weeks
- G. Conclusion
A. Video Explanation
B. Is It Even Possible to lose 20 Lbs in 2 Weeks?
As I said, it is extremely challenging but equally rewarding.
This is an emergency weight loss program that aims to make use of every opportunity of losing weight over 14 days.
Any mistake and you will extend the period up to 3 or even 4 weeks.
Just cut back your calories, hydrate yourself, include physical activity, stay miles away from the junk food and take enough rest (2).
After two weeks, you will undoubtedly have your dream physique and figure. All it takes to achieve a toned body is your discipline and the following tips.
Each tip on this page is scientifically proven and is recommended by the fitness trainers as well.
Note– You should consult your doctor before going for this super-fast weight loss plan that drops your weight quickly.
C. How to Lose 20 Pounds in 2 Weeks: 10 Simple Steps
1) Start Drinking ‘More’ Water
Water flushes toxins out of your system and revs up metabolism to help your body in losing its extra weight.
On the top of that, water is calorie-free, and thus, is a better alternative to the sugary drinks.
2) Say ‘No’ to Junk Food
Consuming fatty, greasy, and high sugar content food turns all your weight loss efforts fruitless.
So, avoid fried, battered, packaged, covered-in-chocolate, and preserved-in-sugar foods.
3) Go For ‘Negative calorie’ Foods
These foods need/burn more calories for their digestion than they themselves contain.
Some of these foods are:
Celery, Broccoli, Cucumber, Lettuce, Zucchini, Berries, Grapefruit, Carrots, Tomatoes, Watermelon, Apples
4) ‘Cook’ Your Food Yourself
Unlike restaurant foods, cooking by yourself gives you complete control over the calories and nutrients you eat.
Other than that, it also adds physical activity to your day and helps you count calories accurately.
Prefer olive oil, and avoid excessive butter/sugar/salt. Also, control your portion sizes.
5) Never ‘Skip’ Your Meals
When you skip breakfast, your body smartly lowers down the rate of calorie-burn to save them for the future.
This way, it may appear as if you’re losing weight in the beginning. But, it is just a temporary change and you are only going to regain it rapidly at the end of two weeks.
6) Eat More ‘Often’
Don’t confuse it with ‘eating more.’ The core idea here is to eat less, but frequently at regular intervals.
Therefore, get smaller meals more often (3-6 times/day).
This tricks your body into thinking you are full, which keeps your cravings down. Also, your body won’t be inclined to conserving calories this way.
7) Indulge in ‘Moderate to Vigorous’ Exercise
- Moderate exercise burns 200-400 calories/hour.
It includes slow walking/bicycling, dancing, hiking, golf, and light yard work.
- Vigorous exercise burns 400-600 calories/hour.
Includes basketball, swimming, aerobics, bicycling, running, heavy weight lifting, and yard work.
Do 30-60 minutes of exercise, 2-3 times a day 4-5 days a week. Also, don’t forget to take breaks and drink water consistently.
8) ‘Grab’ Those Little Opportunities For Physical Activity
The aim here is to incorporate more physical movement in the limited period of 24 hours.
Do some push-ups while watching TV, take stairs instead of elevators, take the dog for a walk, or just wash up your car yourself.
It is you who have to find opportunities to exercise to burn fat in order to make your weight loss process quicker.
9) ‘Relieve’ Your Stress And Tension
These two factors are the main culprits playing an indirect role in foiling your plan to lose 20 lbs in 2 weeks.
Listen to music, meditate every day for 15-30 minutes, practice yoga & deep breathing exercises. Also, expose yourself to entertainments that make you laugh and cheer.
10) Finally, Do Take A ‘Full Night’ Of Sleep
Sleeping for 7-9 hours each night restores the efficiency of your body and makes it easier for your body to lose body fat.
Moreover, it also regulates your hormones and keeps you from getting too hungry, thus preventing over-eating.
D. How Actually Are You Going to Lose Weight?
To lose weight fast, you need to shed belly fat with physical activity and simultaneously create a calorie deficit to discourage your body from accumulating any additional fat (3).
In short, you need to look out for-
- What you’re eating,
- How you’re eating, and
- Make a few lifestyle changes.
Follow these steps as I tell you down below, and your fat will just walk away by the end of 2 weeks.
Besides, I have also added explanations & references on how your body works from inside so you can be at a better understanding of its working.
So, let’s get started with our natural ways to lose weight.
F. 7 Scientifically-proven Ways to Lose 20 Pounds in 2 Weeks
1. Start Drinking More Water
1.1 What Happens When You Drink More Water?
When you hydrate yourself adequately, this is exactly what happens inside your body–
Detoxification is followed by the boost in metabolism. This results in a higher rate of calorie burn via the process called lipolysis (5). Afterward, it is a smooth ride down the weight loss road.
On top of that:
- Prefer ‘cold’ water: It helps in weight loss more effectively as your body has to burn extra calories to raise the temperature of the water up to your body’s (6).
- Drink water before meals: It curbs appetite and helps in consuming fewer calories (7).
- WebMD says: You eat 75 fewer calories per meal in this way, which also helps in losing some weight, especially in the middle-aged and older individuals.
- Replace high sugar & calorie beverages with water, which contains zero calories, to reduce your calorie intake and drop off your extra weight effortlessly.
1.2 How Much Water Should You Drink Daily?
- On an average, you should drink more than 64 ounces (around 2 liters) of water per day. But if are more overweight, follow this handy rule- Drink “half of your body weight in ounces of water,” i.e., For a body weight of 180 pounds, you should drink 90 ounces of water.
- It is even better if you drink 1.5 liters of water, over and above your usual intake (8).
2. Eat Frequently
Don’t confuse it with ‘Eating More.’
You just have to eat more ‘often’ and also keep your calories in check at the same time.
Eating 6 meals a day is an effective weight loss strategy while keeping an eye on ‘what you eat’ and ‘how much you eat’ (9).
2.1 The ‘Frequent-eating Myth’- [Busted] & The Correct Way to Do It
Eating frequently is often linked with the increase in metabolism. But, that’s not true.
The Fact is: Frequent eating neither revs up your metabolism nor burns your body fat (10).
This is what actually happens rather than what you think:
When you stay hungry more than 5-6-hours, you get famished. In such a situation, you are only more likely to overeat.
Specifically, this is the breakup of events occurring between your meals:
- After about 3 hours, your blood sugar level begins to fall.
- By 4 hours, your body is done digesting everything you had sent down to it.
- When you cross 5 hours, your blood sugar decreases rapidly. That’s when you start feeling tired and grab whatever you can to refuel.
That is why breakfast is an essential meal of the day (11).
After 7-8 hours of sleep without food, you need the energy to carry out your daily tasks and to keep yourself from overeating at lunch.
2.2 How Grazing Helps You Lose Fat?
2.3 How to Eat Frequently the Right Way?
- Your goal should be to eat less than 1300 calories daily. This means you should be eating the maximum of 200 calories in each meal or snack session.
- Graze on snacks high in ‘lean protein’ & ‘high-fiber carbohydrates.’ This ensures you only get a minimum number of calories but a maximum number of nutrients to keep going.
Note: Frequent eating should be avoided in case you opt for an intermittent fasting regime to lose your extra weight.
2.4 What Can You Prefer Eating?
- Fresh fruit + low-fat cheese
- Raw vegetables + ¼ cup tzatziki sauce or hummus
- Whole-grain crackers + 1 tsp of nut butter or 1 oz. of low-fat cheese
- Nuts, dried fruits, whole-grain cereal + ¼ cup trail mix with nuts
- Fresh berries + 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
2.5 What Goes Wrong While Eating More Often?
Most of the weight-loss enthusiasts who go for 6 meal plan end up doing more harm to their weight loss goals.
Here’s why– They consume way more calories this way than they could have consumed with a 3-meals-a-day plan.
The main culprits here are:
- Junk foods (processed foods, refined carbs, sugary drinks) that could be easily overeaten and you will still have some space in your belly for more.
- Unregulated portion sizes.
Therefore, abstain from repeating these mistakes.
3. Limit Your Salt Intake
Although sodium lacks calories, it can still bring about undesired consequences such as weight gain, indirectly (13).
3.1 What Does Excess Sodium Do To Your Body?
Your body typically maintains a sodium/water balance for its biochemical processes, which very much resembles sea water.
When there is an influx of sodium, your body starts retaining more water to keep that balance in place (14).
Precisely, consuming an extra 400 milligrams of sodium increases your body weight by 2-pounds.
However, this extra weight is temporary and gets flushed out of your body when:
- you reduce your sodium intake, and
- start drinking more water
…says Dr. Jack D. Osman of Towson University.
Even though temporary, this can give off false readings that can discourage you from continuing on your weight loss program.
3.2 Which Sources to Cut Off From?
Following food products not only bring excess sodium into your system but also load you up with more calories:
- Packaged snacks and fast foods
- Deli Meats
- Breakfast cereals
- Canned soups and vegetables
- Flavor packets and condiments
- Frozen meals
- Spaghetti sauce
- Dairy products
- Processed Meats
3.3 How Much Sodium to Consume in A Day?
- For a rapid weight loss, your daily intake of sodium should never exceed 1,500 milligrams or 0.75 teaspoon. Or better to keep it strictly under 1,000 to 1,200 milligrams/day.
Also, go for only ‘low sodium’ products that provide 140 mg or less of sodium per serving.
4. Add Negative Calorie Foods to Your Diet
Negative calorie fruits and vegetables play a crucial role when you have to flatten your flabby stomach (15). That’s why these foods have grabbed quite a lot of eyeballs of fitness seekers lately.
Read on to know what are negative calorie foods and what foods fall into this category.
4.1 What Are Negative Calorie Foods?
These foods require more energy to chew, digest, and absorb than they themselves contain.
So basically, while digesting a negative-calorie food, your body not only nullifies those extra calories you consumed along with the food but also burns more of your own calories to derive the required energy and complete the entire digestion process.
What this means is that you are only burning your body fat in eating them, which is exactly what we want.
Moreover, negative-calorie foods are rich in nutrition, contain high fiber, and have a low glycaemic index
4.2 Examples of Negative Calorie Foods
Veggies such as cabbage, lettuce, onion, radish, spinach, turnip, zucchini, asparagus, beetroot, broccoli, green beans, garlic, cucumber, celery, and cauliflower.
Fruits like watermelon, tangerines, tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, papayas, mangoes, oranges, limes, lemons, honeydew, grapefruit, cranberries, cantaloupe, and blueberries.
5. Start Your Day With A Cup Of Coffee
For a coffee lover, short-term weight loss program is going to be delightful as coffee helps you shed your fat (16).
Well, it’s an established fact and here’s the reason:
5.1 What Substances in Coffee Make it a Fat-Busting Potion?
Coffee contains mainly three bio-active compounds:
- Caffeine– stimulates the central nervous system
- Theobromine and Theophylline– similar stimulating effect as that of caffeine
- Chlorogenic acid– slows down carbohydrate absorption in your body
5.2 How Does Caffeine Help You Lose Weight?
Caffeine blocks the inhibitory action of a neurotransmitter called Adenosine. This increases the firing of neurotransmitters like Norepinephrine and Dopamine (17).
These neurotransmitters, in turn, boost your metabolism and also increase your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) by 3-11% (18). This boost can be even more with larger doses.
Thus, it gets easier to lose extra weight with coffee as your body gets more inclined to burning fat rather than storing it.
Note: Those who are not much into the coffee can also go for green tea. It contains active antioxidant compounds called Catechins, which boost your metabolism and burn fat.
5.3 Why Should You Drink Coffee Before Your Workout?
Caffeine increases the level of hormone Epinephrine (Adrenaline) in the blood (19). This epinephrine moves via your bloodstream and reaches your fat tissues. There it triggers the break-down of fats into fatty acids, which are then finally released into the blood.
This mobilized fat is now available for use and is readily utilized by your body when you work out.
So, when you work out, your performance gets increased by 11-12% on an average (20). This means you can exercise for longer and burn even more calories to get in shape fast.
6. Engage Yourself in Physical Activities
Exercising on a daily basis benefits you in the form of Weight loss and healthy weight maintenance (21).
6.1 How You Lose Weight With Physical Activities?
When you work out, your body starts demanding more energy than normal in order to perform various physical movements.
This initiates calorie burn-off at an increased rate, which satisfies the energy needs of your body, dissolving your body-fat in the process.
Furthermore, when you burn off excess calories with physical activity and simultaneously reduce your calorie intake, it creates a ‘calorie deficit,’ which eventually helps you slim down even quicker.
6.2 Which Physical Activities To Do?
To lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks, you need to indulge in both moderate and vigorous intensity exercises.
Moderate physical activities burn around 200-400 calories/hour, whereas, vigorous physical exercises burn roughly 400-600 calories/hour (22).
1. Moderate intense: When your breathing and heart rate is noticeably faster, but you can still carry on a conversation.
- Walking briskly
- Playing with children
- Biking at a medium pace
- Light yard work
2. Vigorous intense: When your breathing and heart rate gets increased considerably, and it is almost impossible to carry on a conversation.
- Swimming laps
- Cross-country skiing
- Rope jumping
- Sports like football, soccer, basketball
- Rollerblading at a brisk pace
7. Get a Full Night’s Sleep
Sound sleep is the nutrition for your brain that it needs on a regular basis in the amount of 7-9 hours each night.
By sleeping for the recommended hours, you only make losing weight way easier, faster, and effortless.
Sleep deprivation drops your metabolism rate and invokes cravings. This results in excessive eating and weight gain.
Moreover, a sleepy brain also lacks impulse to say no to junk foods, which further increases the risk of consuming a hell of a lot of calories.
7.1 How Insufficient Sleep Affects Your Weight Loss Goal?
When you cut back on sleep, your hormones go haywire, affecting the functions associated with them. Here is how it happens:
- Your body starts producing more of ‘hunger hormone’ Ghrelin. Ghrelin signals your brain to make you feel hungry (23).
- The levels of ‘appetite-reducing hormone’ Leptin begin to fall, signaling your brain to eat more (24).
⇒ This imbalance in the levels of these two hormones makes you overeat and gain weight.
- Moreover, when you make ‘sleeping too little’ your habit, there begins a rise in the level of ‘stress hormone’ Cortisol.
It puts your body on power saver mode to save energy for activities during your waking hours (25).
- Other than that, insulin sensitivity also drops by over 30%.
Typically, insulin is required by your body to convert food into energy. With insulin in scarcity, your body finds it difficult to process bloodstream fats and ends up storing it as fat (26).
7.2 How to Get a Better Night’s Sleep?
- Keep your bedroom only for sleep and sex, not for work or entertainment.
- Take a warm bath, meditate, or read before going to sleep.
- Turn off your lights to help your body release natural sleep hormone Melatonin.
- Stick to a schedule of waking up and sleeping at the same time every day the whole week.
- Avoid alcohol and heavy meals close to bedtime.
- Also steer clear of soda, coffee, tea, and chocolate after 2 pm.
This was how to lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks. We have guided you through these effective tips and explained how things work inside your body. Now the ball is in your court.
Make a routine and follow these practical weight-loss tips to enjoy slim and fit body.
Best of Luck!