The growth in your life and career largely depends upon the quality of your social interaction and people’s perception of you.
There is more than one way to do the same thing and what separates you from the crowd is the way you do the job when the right time arrives. And that’s what really matters.
Some of us do really well when it comes to handling social situations and impressing the folks while some of us fall flat on our faces and lose our personality impact over time. Moreover, this also causes you to miss out on several growth & success prospects.
These simple psychological life hacks will help you improve your personality score and make you desirable over time.
These psychological Life Hacks/Tweaks involve the observations, improvisations, and modifications of day to day activities to help you gain the soul of any social moment/interaction. They are quite easy to apply in your life and provide you ‘more benefits for less effort’ with the striking results.
So, to make your life more positive, winning, and appealing, here are the essential psychological life hacks (including those that I use) using which you can be the king of any social situation you run into and steal the show for sure. Check them out!
1) Want to Cool Down the Heated Argument? Move to the Side of the Person Instead of Standing In Front of Them
Unless you enjoy an intense conversation, you should try this argument hack that lets you pacify them without you being thought of as the one who backed off.
The hack- Stand beside the person instead of in front of them makes their subconscious mind to process you as no more threatening to them, which eventually puts the heated argument to rest in a while.
You can read more here 11 Ways to Calm Yourself Down During An Argument
2) Not Sure When to Speak Out During a Conversation?- Decode the Body Language of the Speaker By Observing Their Feet.
Speaking at a wrong time can irritate them, putting you in an awkward social situation where you are the one who is unconcerned of their thoughts.
This makes your personality shallow and uncourteous. The same thing done at the right time presents you as a thorough listener, which in turn also creates the respect for your views in their minds. Consequently, your overall reputation and fame start to grow.
The Hack- You just have to observe their torso (the trunk of the human body, composed of chest and abdomen) and feet.
While in conversation, if only their torso turns and feet stays still, do not intervene. The best time for you to speak up is when they angle both their chest and feet (considering the speaker is standing) towards you. Try it! It works.
To read more How to read body language more effectively
3) Fold Your Arms to Identify the One Who is Least Concerned With Your Talks
But, how can you figure out if someone actually wants to listen to you or in any way interested in the points you are presenting? Follow this simple hack.
The Hack- Just fold your arms, and if they do the same, they are interested indeed, otherwise it is better if you stop talking or change the topic because you are only wasting your energy to bore them.
Similar to yawning, this hand-folding activity too induces the people around you to imitate it when they are really paying attention to your words.
Read more How to know if someone is listening
4) Do You Need a Favour From Someone?- Start With “I Need Your Help.”
The hack-Start off your sentence with “I need your help”.
Basically, it means you are indirectly and subconsciously asking them if they are capable enough to do this task.
Denying your request will put them at a pang of guilt making them feel incompetent, which nobody likes to witness. So, in most cases with this simple hack, you are on a highly probable end of getting the favour.
5) Face Problem Remembering the Names?- Repeat the Name of the Person During Your Conversation
Not to mention the awkward situation that follows when you forget that girl’s name who you tried your luck on and succeeded or some big client’s name.
So, disremembering someone’s name should be the last thing you would ever want to do. And why not- a person’s name is the sweetest sound to them in the world. Isn’t this true?
The Hack- During the conversation, repeating their names kills two birds with one stone. First, it brings them closer to you and, your words are heard attentively and second, you get to memorise their name subconsciously.
For instance: “Hello Tim, My name is Sam” “Nice to meet you Tim” “so Tim, where did you attend your graduation?”
For more memory hacks, Read 11 memory hacks to remember the names of everyone you meet
6) Didn’t Get a Full Answer to Your Question? Wait and Watch While Keeping Eye Contact With Them
The responder may duck and reply you only in brief. Now, How to get them speaking more without you uttering more of the words?
The Hack- Even though the person has finished answering, keep silence while maintaining an eye contact followed by raising your eyebrows.
This is a compelling psychological technique to make them speak more by building a subconscious pressure on them.
It’s a bit hard to master but worth a try.
7) If You Are in a Customer Services’ Business, You Can Pacify Your Angry Customers With This Simple Method
Customer service desks of Bars, Hotels, and Hospitals are the first targets of angry and aggressive customers. Nevertheless, you are expected to handle them courteously, after all that’s what you’re paid for.
This hack can be your true pal in handling them without losing your cool.
The hack- Put a mirror behind you at the counter. This will most probably make the angry customer calm down since nobody wants to see themselves in a bad temper and bad image.
8) Got Insulted By Someone?- Two Best Things You Can do- Either Ignore or Mock Them in a Witty Manner
A troll is a person who argues with you on the social media sites like Facebook, Twitter over trivial issues and leaves no stone unturned in upsetting or irritating you even if that involves unethical or immoral means.
Your negativity, bad temper, anger, and frustration is what makes them stronger than ever. The statement holds true for real life haters as well. Here is how you can make them weak and give a befitting reply.
How to deal with trolls?
Instead of providing trolls with what they want, surprise them by ignoring them; the best way to keep trolls at bay.
Alternatively, you can also mock them using a witty remark. It is more fun that way wherein you can enjoy the moment going in your favour.
9) Want to Learn a Concept in its Entirety?- “Teach It To Someone”
Anything you read and try to learn doesn’t remain as such in your brain for long. It tends to fade up gradually over time.
Also, you can’t say it for sure if you have got all its concepts cleared until someone asks you a tricky question out of it and you start staring the walls.
The Hack- To grasp A to Z of a topic, Teach & explain it to someone.
This puts your brain to work in order to extract the maximum details out of what you have read & learned.
Moreover, you can also figure out the weaknesses and work on them later.
Thus, a crystal clear concept stays in your brain way longer.
10) Gossiping Behind the Back Hurts Your Own Trustworthiness- Either Say It on the Face or Avoid it
While gossiping, you reveal things about the third person that others don’t know but this very thing also subconsciously instils a thinking about your untrustworthiness in their minds. They start to believe what you are revealing about the third person today could someday be their case too.
Everything connects to everything else– Leonardo Da Vinci
What to do to preserve your trustworthiness and boost your personality?
Try to back off from gossiping behind someone’s back or just quit it. Since “karma is a bitch”, therefore, it is not going to pay you off in any better way and would only harm your character.
11) Facing Problem Keeping the Conversation Smooth and Exciting? Ask Something About Them!
Most of us are not good at making interesting conversations and keeping them running smoothly, especially when it is a stranger who you just met while walking down the road or at a random place. It is the introvert nature to be blamed and hold accountable for this.
What you can do to get the conversation going on smoothly?
Ask them something about themselves, and if you already know their hobbies or passion, then you can use that to fuel up the chatting.
You can simply ask them about these things and then go more in-depth.
- Their job/career
- Their passion/hobby
- Their family/friends
- Their heritage/history
Tip- Don’t ask them that they can answer by just ‘Yes’ or ‘No’, so, modify your questions accordingly.
Besides, stay enthusiastic and interested in the whole conversation to make a great impression on them.
12) Getting No Motivation or Creative Thoughts?- Clean & Organise Your Surroundings and Feel the Change
- What leads to an efficient and undistracted working? – A focused and motivated brain.
- And what leads to motivation? – A motivating and inspiring ambience.
So, do you think a dirty and stinking surrounding can motivate you to do anything productive with full concentration? – The answer is “No”.
Your personality reflects how you live. Living unorganised and filthily affects not only your career and future but also your whole life. Also, the others’ perception of you doesn’t build much good, and more often than not you are tagged as irresponsible, careless, casual, and negligent.
How to feel motivated and creative?
- Get up and clean the dirt around you from switches, keyboard, table, and get rid of the food leftovers, empty poly-bags, and remove the hanging spider webs from the corners of your room.
- Organise things and keep them where they are supposed to be.
- Now, Sit there and observe the changes and then get started with your work.
At workplace too, keep your desk spacious and organised. You’ll feel the change quite soon.
Even the huge companies like Google have mind-relaxing, extremely clean and an organised workspace to fuel up the efficiency of their employees, who then come up with the most brilliant ideas in the world.
You can read more here Five reasons why your workplace needs to be clean
13) Always Remember- Confidence is the Key to Success
We all know that the higher education makes us a bit shy and hesitative person. This is because there is something that also comes along with all that education and degrees- a heightened self-consciousness.
The feeling of what people would say if you couldn’t answer the question correctly keeps you well within your imaginary boundaries further limiting your potential and success prospects.
However, a balanced concoction of knowledge and confidence is highly fruitful, which can amplify your chances of growing beyond your limits in your life.
How to boost your confidence-
- You got to believe what you are, what you know, and what you can do.
Even if you are wrong, just let it flow with the confidence when it is something that you have always dreamt of.
- You cannot be wrong at all the times but a confident answer definitely creates a strong image of you in the subconscious mind of the listener.
People may love you or hate you, but can never ignore you.
For more read here 7 Tips To Gain The Confidence You Need To Succeed
14) Additional Tips To be a Desirable Person Among Others
- Keep your hands out of your pockets as it signifies dissatisfaction with your image, looks, clothes, or personality, and a lack of self-confidence. You can instead fold them.
- Stand straight, walk like a leader in a straight posture. It shows your confidence and further boosts your persona.
- Keep your hands warm. Hand-shaking with your warm hands increases your desirability as it conveys your enhanced energy level.
- Now, the golden rule- Never lose the eye contact. When you are on a date or in a meeting, maintaining eye contact with regular smiles can really win their hearts. A confident and healthy gaze can be an effective soul-touching move.
- Nod and lean forward during a conversation. This indicates you are getting along with the talk and are really interested in the views of that person.
15) Finally, Some Bonus Tips For You-
- A person’s real character is how they treat someone who is economically low (like waiters, beggars, maids, poor, etc). This is what they really are not what they tell you. Learn and start observing.
- If you are a parent, present situations to your kids in a way that gives them the power to choose and make decisions. No matter what your kid chooses, both options are ultimately good from your point of view.
Such a parenting allows your kids to grow up more confident and matured. So, Instead of ‘Wear this shirt’, say ‘which one do you want to wear? White or Blue’.
- When asking for a favour, use the word ‘because’, no matter how dumb the reason be. You stand high on getting the favour this way. “
May I get the haircut first?” would be less entertained than “May I get the haircut first because I have to go to the movie”.
- To avoid disappointment, try to have fewer expectations from the beginning, like on a date or an interview.
- If you want someone to do a big favour for you, first get them to do a small favour for you. It’s known as ‘Foot-in-the-door’ hack.
- Getting nervous before a presentation or conference or a bungee jumping?- Chew a gum.
- In a negotiation/deal: if you have kept your offer and still speaking, you are not doing good for your deal except weakening it.
What’s your life hack to deal with awkward Life situations that you have been through?
Let me know in the comments below! :p